The History of the Latter Day Deliverance Revival Church began in 1953 with the salvation and Holy Spirit baptism of its leaders, then 21 year-old Roy Lee Kossie, Jr. and his wife, the late Barbara Linton-Kossie. They attended an A.A. Allen tent revival; an important catalyst for their more than 50-year commitment to God’s purpose for their lives, to establish a deliverance center in the heart of Houston’s inner-city Fifth Ward community.
From 1953-55, the young couple became members at Bishop J.L. Parker’s Bible Way Church of Holiness (Trinity Gardens, Houston). Responding to a call to ministry in 1955, Kossie and his wife “worked out” their church by holding prayer meetings in their home. For one year, Kossie accepted an invitation to pastor a church founded by Mother McAfee and her late husband. A close friend, Samuel Mingo, now pastor of Ebenezer House of Prayer (Settegast, Houston) also assisted in the ministry.
Kossie then began to travel to Humble, Texas, where McAfee held prayer meetings with area senior citizens who, although saved, desired a church home. Though the small group did not initially own a building, members residing in the area secured an old structure, previously a saw mill, to worship. Kossie and Mingo ministered. Mingo also earned a reputation as an excellent Sunday school teacher and superintendent.
From 1957 to 1962, Kossie and his Humble congregation rented a building on Bordersville Road (now the FM 1960 bypass) in the “Negro” Community. From 1961 to 1962, while continuing to hold prayer meetings in their home, Kossie and his wife worshipped briefly at the Miracle House of Prayer, where Kossie served as assistant pastor to Pastor Leola Crawford, a local pioneer among women preachers.
Determined to establish a more permanent place of worship, in 1962, Kossie rented a theater in the predominantly Hispanic Denver Harbor area, naming the church “Harvest Time Revival Center.” After a few months in Denver harbor, Kossie and his congregation rented a church on New Orleans Street. While there, Harvest Time attracted approximately thirty attendants. When the new owner of the church decided to use the edifice for another purpose, the members of “Harvest Time” headed for Green and Meadow Street in Houston’s Fifth Ward, where, from 1964-68, a foundation for growth was established.
Among pioneering members were matriarchs called “church mothers” the late Josephine Sanders, Mamie Woods, Maggie Johnson, and Jerlene Satcherwhite; Earnest and Henry and Onzella Satcherwhite; Helen Satcherwhite; Mozelle Satcherwhite; Dallas Wilson and Laura Wilson-Satcherwhite. Teachers, ministers, and leaders included Charlie C. and Johnnie Mae Driver, Prentice and Gladys Hobbs, Johnny Brooks, and Earl Thomas.
Among the supportive families were Dorothy Johnson and her sisters, Lee and Melba, as well as the DeBose, Banion, Johnnie Taylor and the Banks families. Among Kelly Courts residents were Sister Washington and brother James Bedford, church Organist. Also counted among the pioneers were Kossie’s younger sister, Wilma Jean Kossie, and his sister-in-law, Lucinda Kossie, who launched a lifetime career as a church musician. Thanks to a spirit of cooperation among the members, the congregation bonded.
SALVATION IN A RAILROAD BOXCAR
During the same four-year period, members participated in evangelistic work in Cleveland, Texas. Kossie was particularly attracted to Cleveland because the Charlie C. Driver, wife Johnnie Mae Driver and Jimmie Lee Durdin had been commuting to Houston to attend services. In an effort to establish a church in the small town, Harvest Time sponsored a revival there. As ministers had hoped and prayed, a church emerged. Services were held in a railroad box car and revivals conducted under a tent in a wooded area where saints shouted on ground covered with sawdust. Members recounted vivid memories of “Holy Ghost” fire in which songs of victory and deliverance enlivened starlit nights.
Copyright 2018. Latter Day Deliverance Revival Church. All Rights Reserved.